COA (Certificate of Authenticity)
Certificates of authenticity is a means of adding facts about an artwork, and to prove its authenticity. The certificates should contain information such as title, medium, date, signature, etc., which can possibly make an art buyer more comfortable with buying an artwork. It is a document that the art collector can hold onto, and applied as proof of an artwork’s genuineness. Certificates of authenticity adds a layer of perceived value and trust for an artist, making artworks easier to sell.
It is recommended that you use as much factual information about the piece as possible, along with references to places where the artwork resides.
How to Create a Certificate of Authenticity
- Include the title of the painting, drawing, sculpture, print, etc., and the artist. (ie This is to certify that this original oil painting entitled “BEAUTY” was painted by OKECHUWU EZE)
- Add the medium. (ie artist quality oil paint)
- State the materials used. (ie Gesso primed stretched canvas, 200g)
- Some artists like to include a small image of the artwork on the certificate, although this is not necessary if there is a good description.
- Have the name of the artist, and the year of creation included.
- State the exact dimensions of the piece, and extra details if it is a limited edition.
- Where the artwork was created, usually a country.
- Whether it is an original or reproduction (print).
- Create a certificate numbering or code system, and include a different number for each artwork. Record the code for your own records as well.
- certificates proof artistsSign your full name in ink and include the date.
- Include contact information (address and email), and the link for your art website. It may be a very good idea to include the link to where the artwork can be viewed online, to further authenticate that you are its creator.
- Declare that all copyrights are retained by the artist, and that the artwork cannot be reproduced without consent from you.
- Some artists like to rubber stamp their certificate for added authenticity.
- Give brief instructions on how to care for the artwork.
- If it is applicable, include extra information about the artwork, such as where it has been published, and where it has been exhibited.
- Include care instructions if it is appropriate. (ie Keep away from fluorescent lighting and direct sunlight, and from areas with high humidity, and at normal room temperature – 18-23C).
ARTMAZON Certificate of Authenticity
If you have signed up to ARTMAZON as your sole online Marketing channel we can create and countersign a Certificate of Authenticity for each of your Artwork we sale, this would ensure that only the originals of your work is sold. We would also Act on your behalf to track any illegal copy of your work and take appropriate actions to protect your interest. An example of our Certificate of Authenticity can be found above on this web page.
On the example above the ARTMAZON CODE: LEK-001-OKE-00007 can be used to search our website for additional confirmation of the authenticity of the Artwork on the related certificate.
How to sign-up to ARTMAZON
You can sign-up to ARTMAZON as an Artist or Art Collector by sending your portfolio by email to info@ARTMAZON.com or you can use the form below to send us your contact details, we would get back to you shortly.